Thursday, 25 December 2014

11 weeks - SCH getting smaller

We went in to the clinic today of all days.  It was a bit scary considering if there was any bad news, we would then have to contend with the rest of the Christmas family events planned for the day (and we have not told our family about the pregnancy).  But the baby was fine at the u/s, and DH even came in this time, along with Joseph (I'm not sure what he thought of that) to watch.  After seeing the flickering heart I felt relief.  At this early stage, you just don't know what is going on in there!  And even better news, the resting and not lifting has had the desired effect, and the SCH has shrunk to under 3 x 3cm.  Until this point it has been growing each week, so I'm glad that there has been a change in the direction of that development.  Next week is the NT scan.  I asked about the NIPT (non-invasive prenatal testing) and she said that the labs are closed now for the holidays until next week, and then we are doing the NT scan anyway so she said not to do it.  If the NT is abnormal we will proceed from there with further testing, but I hope that that will be ok.  If the NT is fine then the regular quad screening bloodwork will take a few weeks after that... (that will just give the odds, not the diagnosis of problems like the NIPT).  She said the NIPT costs $835 out of pocket, and is covered for those over age 40 but not for donor eggs because the age of the donor is considered.  It "should not be needed" because the odds are low of a problem, but I just don't know how I will feel during the pregnancy if I get an ambiguous result in the screening.  Is $800 that much to worry about after the $1000s I have already spent?  Will I go crazy waiting until the baby is born to know for sure that it is normal, or will I go through the worry of more invasive testing (CVS or amnio) if there is a troubling screening result?  I don't know up until what point the NIPT can be done, but maybe I will bring it up again next week to see what my options are.  I just don't know when I will feel like I can relax, especially if I pass on the NIPT like the RE suggests I should, but maybe not until after the 20 week scan I think. 
We are still not ready to tell people yet.  Maybe in a few more weeks, when the results of the NT and screening bloodwork are in.  I really can't wait to be further along, and hopefully more at ease.

I hope you all are having a Merry Christmas today!  After our morning at the clinic we spent the day watching Joseph play with his new presents, and visiting with family.  And food, lots and lots of food!  We are so thankful that our hearts were not shattered this morning at the u/s.  I know some people are not so lucky, and loss and devastation can happen on any day of the year.  I know how hard Christmas and other holidays are for many families.  We have been through many sad years before Joseph, and feel so lucky to be his happy parents this year, and hopefully a healthy sibling on the way too.
Hugs and best wishes to all of you at this time of year! 

6 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! I hope Joseph has a healthy sibling as well. Glad you saw the heartbeat…what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Seeing the heartbeat is always such a relief!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! So happy the SCH is shrinking.
    I don't know if it's just internet rumor, but I've heard the NIPT places will only charge a certain smaller amount if insurance won't pay. I'd call the and check before you rule it out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have to look into this. I have heard that too, but I think it is only in the US and since I am in Canada of course things are different here. As I said, our government health insurance would have covered it since I am now over 40 (yikes!), but because the age of the egg, not the mother, is written on the form, it is not covered for those under 40, and the doctor said it was $835. I'm pretty sure I am out of luck, but that's a pretty cool concept and strangely generous from the blood testing people to offer the $25 rate to those without insurance coverage in the States.

      Delete
  3. Good news and Merry Christmas! You will probably worry a lot no matter what...so decide if you want to worry and be $800 poorer or not? Haha (I hope it came off that way!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will worry... but I think the difference is not worrying about the specific issue that did in my first baby. It is more than a hypothetical threat to me, it is something that I lived through and of course NEVER want to go through again. $800 is a small price to pay, I think. I'm going to ask again about it tomorrow. I will just not be satisfied with being given "odds" of having trisomies, for example, what if they say I have a 1:600 chance. That's pretty low, but someone is that ONE, and I have been the one before already, so 1:600 would be a nightmare for me to sit with until the birth. I just want to know, YES or NO. Chromosomes are normal or not. I know other things could be wrong too, of course. And also the NIPT is less invasive than an amnio, I'm hoping if I get the clear NIPT then I can skip the amnio completely and I would be fine with that. Especially with this stupid SCH that would not stop bleeding for many weeks, I don't want them poking around in there unless absolutely necessary, it could trigger more bleeding, etc. As for the money, it sucks but we are "in for a penny, in for a pound"! Hopefully this will be it for fertility expenses and then we can more on to the rest of "normal" pregnancy things, which are all covered by my insurance.
      Hope you are well and happy New Year to you and your family!

      Delete