Friday, 14 November 2014

Beta #3

Today I went for beta #3 at 17dp5dt and the result was 5,662.  So the doctor is really happy with that and said to do another one in 4 days, and to come in for the first ultrasound on November 24th.  I also did my intralipids for the second time today, so I was hooked up to the iv for a few hours (actually fell asleep while getting the transfusion, which was nice since I was so tired).  The donor nurse was at the clinic and came to see me before I got started.  I had not spoken to her in person yet (just by email), and she was taking over from the other donor nurse from the last cycle who is now on leave.  She was SO excited and just hugged me again and again, and was practically crying with joy.  I was so touched, I didn't think she was that invested in this but it was really, really sweet.  And strange because I have been going around with my stressful week at work, and no one even knows that I did a cycle let alone that I'm pregnant, so in a way it doesn't feel real except in my own head.  I asked her about my donor, whom she had met in person.  I asked if she looked like me and what she was like.  The nurse said she has "more body" to her than I do (I guess a nice way of saying she is a bit chunkier) but that she is really, really cute.  She said she is really committed and amazing, she really wants to help and she is a wonderful person.  So I felt so reassured by those words, and my concerns were somewhat alleviated.  I do like the idea that my donor is so altruistic and I guess on some level it is hard to fully understand it.  But it was also great to see the unbridled enthusiasm of this nurse, since I have not felt safe enough myself to get that excited, but seeing her that way made me feel really hopeful and optimistic that this is all going to work out.

4 comments:

  1. woohoo! That is an awesome beta! Congrats! Yes your nurse was excited, you are pregnant! I know it is hard to let yourself get excited. So I will be excited for you! :) Did you have intralipids with your pregnancy with your son? How did you get your Re to prescribe them? I have had 5 miscarriages and my Re will not. He will only prescribe prednisolone and lovenox. Intralipids are natural and I would love to have them but noone will prescribe them for my next FET :( I have talked to Dr Braverman and it sounds like he might only if I do his super long immune testing panel. I have already done alot of repeat pregnancy loss testing and other then slightly elevated nk cells and Ana. Everything is normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chantal! Thanks for being excited! As for the intralipids, I have never had them before. After my last chemical pregnancy with the first donor, plus I had a chemical and a BFN with my own eggs, PGS tested embryos, the RE suggested the intralipids not really as something she fully believed in but more like a "it may help and can't hurt" addition to the protocol. Also the Fragmin was added in the same spirit. I'm not sure why your doctor would be opposed to it. Is the immune testing very expensive or time consuming? I did all the tests my RE recommended and none were conclusive in pinpointing the cause of the chemicals. It's so frustrating to not have any answers, I can definitely relate. I think the intralipids are supposed to help if you have elevated nk cells, so I would ask your RE again about it. I'm also doing weekly acupuncture, which can help too. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the intralipids was the magic ingredient for you! I am so excited for you ultrasound! I have done acupuncture for every transfer ( I have had 4 transfers so far. 2 fresh with my eggs and and a fresh and FETwith donor egg)I was born in Canada. Maybe I should move back there. Your RE is alot more open-minded. Mine doesn't believe in intralipids, says there are no proven cases. He asked the other doctors at the clinic if they would consider in my case since I have had 5 miscarriages. They said no. Yet he is willing to prescribe lovenox and prednisolone drugs. I argued that intralipids were not risky like they were and he said it's not a matter of risk, they just won't prescribe them. We are in the Shared Risk donor egg program. So we paid for 6 tries up front and will be refunded the money back if it doesn't succeed to. You would think they would try harder! How long did they take to do pgs on your embryos? I have been waiting for the biopsy for 3 months now. The problem is the donor we chose is in an another state and though it is the same clinic, that may be causing the delay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chantal!
      My RE didn't really believe in the intralipids, either. If I had not read about them elsewhere, I would not have been convinced to use them by her presentation of them as an option. She basically said it's probably a waste of money, but we could try it. I have no way of knowing if it is in fact the magic ingredient, but I'm glad something worked this time! That is weird that your RE won't prescribe it, but will prescribe other drugs that have more side effects. Some politics with the drug companies, maybe? There must be a reason that they are not telling you.
      I did not do PGS this cycle, but for the cycles that I did, they did a biopsy on Day 5 and then had the results on Day 6 for a transfer. This did not work out so well on my last OE cycle, because most of the embryos were slowing down or arresting by day 4. On Day 5 only 1 was "ready" to test, (and it came back abnormal) and 2 others they needed to observe another day. They arrested on Day 5 before making it to blast, so they never were biopsied. Who knows if I had transferred the poor things on Day 3 if they would have had a chance. It was too big of a risk for me that they were abnormal, though.
      My first donor cycle I had planned to test the embryos, and again on Day 4 they slowed down. The RE said it was best not to do it, because they may stop growing before the Day 6 transfer. I transferred what I had on Day 5 without testing and got a chemical pregnancy.
      This time I didn't do the test and I'm hoping for the best. That is really strange that your results are taking months! It must be a different kind of test. Did they have to build a special test to locate a particular gene? (i.e., PGD, not PGS) Mine was just a general screening to check that there were the right number of chromosomes.
      Good luck with your next cycles. I wish they had shared risk programs here. That is one bad thing with Canada, as far as I know there are no deals like that here. Every time my cycle failed, I just had to pay again! It really sucks. We have spent a lot of money on this, and just want it to end! I hope this is it!

      Delete