Tuesday, 28 October 2014

Transfer Day!

We did the transfer and all went well!  I rested all afternoon and when I first came home actually I think Rogers (our service provider) was down because we had no internet, home phone, or tv!  So I just lay on the couch doing nothing!  It was good. 
So out of the 10 embryos there were 4 doing well and 3 more under observation.  We transferred the best one, which was given a 10/10 score on the embryoscope, and a 1AB rating (different from some other scales because the RE said 1AA is the best rating.  Our last transfer with the other donor, the "good" embryo was a 4BB, which I thought was good but I guess with this scale it is not.)  Of the other embryos, there was one that had 7/10 in the embryoscope rating, 2 that were 4/10, and 3 more that they were going to continue observing so I guess they were still morulas or something.  So basically we had one excellent one, that we transferred, one good one, 2 mediocre ones, and 3 other poor ones (but still alive).  So I feel a LOT better about this transfer, knowing that there are 3 frozen and possibly up to 3 others to be frozen too, if they make it tomorrow.  Obviously our best chance is for the one that was transferred, so I hope this one is it.
DH told me when we got home that while I was having my acupuncture done after the transfer, they asked him to pay to freeze them embryos, so he did.  But I checked my receipts and sure enough, they had already charged us for that and we had paid $800 for embryo freezing on October 2 when we paid for the IVF fees.  So sneaky of them to ask him about it, and what is wrong with them that they don't even know that it is part of the initial bill, and then they charge again on the day of the transfer?  So of COURSE we get referred back to that idiot in the business office, who must do an "audit" of our whole file now.  I can't even get pissed about this, this is my clinic's game that they play and I just told DH, you deal with this and just tell me that it is taken care of.  I don't want to hear about it.  So he is doing that.  But isn't it stupid that they charge us twice, and then instead of just saying oh yes, this is a mistake, they make it into this big "audit" BS, and then when you eventually get your money back, they make it seem like they are doing you a huge favour, like as if they are giving you a big rebate that you don't deserve.  That clinic is just terrible, it never ends! 

 Anyway, I have been trying to not think about any of that and just stay positive.  I feel tired and also my report cards are due in ONE WEEK so I am a bit worried about that (I have not started!).  I didn't work on them today but I think tomorrow I will (I took tomorrow off as well, to rest after the transfer), because all I have is the weekend and then they are due, so I may as well use my day off tomorrow to catch up on that. 

 It was such a nice day today, I switched back to my light jacket.  Unfortunately it rained a bit later in the afternoon when I took Joseph to the park, but it was only a light rain.  We had the park to ourselves since everyone else was scared off I guess.  Joseph loves looking at the Halloween decorations people have put out in front of their houses.  On the way to the park he became mesmerized by this one place that had skulls with lit up eyes and creepy music coming out of it.  We also have 2 books about pumpkins at home and he loves them, he is really starting to understand about Halloween. 

 So DH's sister called today and she wants us to go to dinner on Halloween at 5:30.  This is going to be difficult, making it there after work, and also because we wanted to fit in a very short trick or treating with Joseph before bed time and I don't know if we are going to get back in time.  Plus it is madness to be driving around during Halloween, when all the kids are walking all over the place, and that is when we will be driving home.  But it is her son's birthday, he is now 13, and she is concerned that he doesn't have any close friends and wants to have a family birthday party with a turkey dinner.  So we will go just so he can have a nice birthday, but really what a bummer that his birthday is on Halloween!  We wanted to just do a family dinner on Saturday for him, but he insists on getting together on his actual birthday. 
I wonder what to get him for his birthday also.  As if I don't have enough to worry about, now I have to get a present, by Friday.  What do 13 year old boys like?

I digress...  So I'm feeling a lot better about this transfer.  Just the fact that they froze 3 embryos (even though they charged us twice for that) makes it seem less desperate than last time when it was all or nothing.  Of course, our best chance is with the one that we transferred, because it had the best rating, so if it doesn't work the chances are a lot lower for a FET.  But there is still that possibility, so it makes all the difference.  Plus I only transferred 1 this time, so none of that "oh no I might have twins" stress.  Not that I wouldn't love twins, but just concerned about the complications that may happen. 
My lining was 12mm today, which is down from 14.5mm when it was last measured, but 12mm is just right so I am happy about that.  I did the acupuncture this time, and aside the billing fiasco, there were no incidents.  So I hope this little top quality embryo will do what it is supposed to do and make itself at home in its new environment.  Stick and grow, embie!!  STICK AND GROW!!!  PLEASE!!!  :-)


  1. Fingers crossed so hard! Sounds so very much better than last time!

    1. Thanks so much! I hope for better luck this time. Still feeling calm so far.