Tuesday, 15 July 2014

The bill has arrived

I got an email today with the bill from the clinic attached.  It is due tomorrow, when the donor starts her Lupron.  Not much notice, they could have told me this on Monday when I was at the clinic! 

What if I had not checked my email?  I am at the cottage right now and I had a weird feeling that I should pull out the computer and see if there was any news from the clinic, and there it was.  Otherwise, the doctor had said to come back in 7-10 days for my lining check. 

Hopefully they can take the payment over the phone because now I am out of town and that would be ridiculous to have to drive 3 hours to make a payment in person. 

Of course I do not delight in the idea of paying, but in one way it does make this seem more real, so I actually feel kind of reassured by receiving this bill.  I had even asked the doctor on Monday, "so, do I have to pay anything yet?" and she said she didn't know anything about the payments so don't worry about it for now.  Of course the next day they want the payment, after I have left!

The meds deposit is $4000 and the IVF fees are $11,200, due to the clinic this week.  This is on top of the $8000ish dollars already paid to the agency and a bit less than $2000 for the lawyer.  So I guess this cycle adds up to $25,000 so far. 

At least now I also know that the donor is starting Lupron tomorrow, and stims on July 18. 
 

5 comments:

  1. That is one big pill to swallow. I hope they take your payment over the hone as well. Good luck with this cycle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did take it over the phone, thank goodness. Can you believe they gave me the wrong extension and I got the voicemail of the donor nurse instead of the business office? Of course you can never get through to a real person. So I left a message, that she never responded to, asking for the correct extension. Luckily I had the card of the business manager from another time when there was a billing screw up that I had to deal with, so I dug that out and was able to get through to the right office. Seriously, can anything just go smoothly??? Yes, this is a big pill to swallow. I try not to think about it too much, but this will wipe out my savings, along with the fact that I have been on a leave without pay for the last 6 months, so this is the end of my nest egg, very literally.

      Delete
  2. Oh my god. I had NO idea it was so expensive! It really illustrates how far those of us in this community will go for healthy kids. Wishing you all the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know, it is freakin nuts. This journey has turned into a nightmare that has cost us so much, not just financially but also emotionally, socially... SO expensive. But at the end of the day, we want to have a family, so the cost is worth it if it works and we are able to overcome our fertility issues with these treatments. That doesn't mean that I'm not PISSED that I have to pay this kind of money, when most people do not, though.

      On the other hand, we have already won the lottery big time with Joseph, so there is always that. We are thankful every day that he is here and we will never take for granted what a miracle he is, and how lucky we are to be parents.

      Sometimes I wonder if we are making the right choice to spend our money this way. We want to give Joseph a sibling, and that is valuable. But if it doesn't work then it will feel more like we just stole all his college money to pay for a pipe dream. It's a gamble, and I really hate gambling. So anyway, thanks for the luck, we will need it!!

      Delete
  3. It sucks how expensive this whole process is. I think of all the things we could've done with that money if we weren't infertile and it kills me. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete