Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Retrieval

So today was the retrieval.  They got 6 eggs.  I guess from 8 follicles this isn't bad, but I wish they had gotten all 8.  It could have been worse, though.  Now I just wait and see how many fertilize (they will call tomorrow) and how many make it to day 3, 5, and 6.  I am praying that most of them make it to day 6!  Then I am praying that at least one tests normal.  It's a long shot, but it is still possible at this point.  It has been a real emotional roller coaster of feelings today, ranging from excited and hopeful, to depressed/ sad when I think about the statistics for my situation.  I feel so tired from it all.  I just want off this ride, but we want a sibling so badly for Joseph. 
He came with us today to the clinic.  The nurses made a big deal about him, since he is an IVF baby from that clinic, they were delighted to see the end result of their work.  He wasn't allowed into the procedure room, though, so I was there with just the staff for the procedure itself.  It went fine, and at least I had enough drugs this time.  I complained about how the first time I could feel the needle and that was not fun.  They agreed to increase the drugs.  Which is kind of funny when you think about the fact that I did not have any drugs when giving birth to Joseph, but having this needle up there for an IVF retrieval is just too much for me. lol
DH's mom would have normally watched Joseph today for us, but as luck would have it she left on a 2 week vacation to Mexico on Monday. 
The doctor said that she is leaning towards having a freeze all cycle, and doing the transfer in another month.  This is so the blastocysts will have more time to develop before doing the biopsy on Day 6.  I am really hoping that those embies make it to day 6.  I am nervous that they may die out before getting to that point, and wouldn't that suck if a normal one didn't make it long enough to test, but would have survived in the womb in a Day 3 transfer?  But unfortunately the PGS testing at our clinic can only be done for a day 6 transfer (biopsied on Day 5) so I will never know if one of the embryos that doesn't make it to that point was normal or not.  It's a gamble, but on the other hand if it does work out, then I will know that any embryos that I transfer will have a much better chance of becoming a healthy baby. 
It's been a tiring day.  Joseph did not want to have a nap after coming home, so it has been a bit of a wild day.  He was pretty excited that DH was home for the day, and didn't want to miss out on anything.  He ended up going to bed early, the poor thing.  He is exhausted.  Me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment